Found a pea sized lump under the skin on forearm. Feels hard and does not move. Suggestions?

I found a pea sized lump under the skin on my forearm, about halfway between wrist an elbow. It's hard and does not move with the skin
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I am Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health query today. I am sorry to hear about this lump and all the unanswered questions that have gone through your mind. Together, we shall look for answers.

If this is the first time you are noticing this mass, then it is most likely represents an acute event like hematoma, inflammation or it could represent a slow growing process like a lipoma, cyst, etc. Lipoma(fat deposit) is the most common cause of subcutaneous masses. It could also represent a primary benign growth, cancerous growth, a metastatic growth, a parasite located under the skin, etc The possibilities are many.

What helps differentiate one from the other is a detailed interrogation and physical exam. Looking at issues like any other growths, any changes in size over time, any pains, change in coloration of surrounding skin etc and the various findings on physical exam. It may need blood and radiological exams if need be.

Most of these lumps never really represent an acute threat to life unless there are other concerning symptoms. What i will suggest is that you monitor this over weeks and even months. if there are any changes in size, onset of pains , change in color of surrounding skin, etc, you should consult and get it checked out. Most of them generally regress without any specific treatment.

I hope this helps you. You may also want to upload a picture for me to see and possibly narrow down the list of possible causes. If you have more related questions or more information to add, please feel free and I will happily address them.I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah, MD.