Ask a Urologist   »  

Foreskin ripping after sex, bleeding. Applied neosporin. Wondering if I need to go to urgent care

Question
Hi, this is embarrassing.. but I had a little rough sex last night. I'm uncircumcized and I ended up ripping the inside of my foreskin under the head (frenulum). It was bleeding quite a bit (well, it looked like it) but I managed to stop the bleeding, put on neosporin and currently bandaged up with some gauze. I'm changing the dressing every so often, and it seems fine, just needs time to heal. There are some blood spots on the gauze, which I understand will continue for a bit. Wondering if I need to go to Urgent care now to check it out?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern for trauma to the penis. For quick healing wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove.Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or Neosporin which you are already using are also useful.

In case there is redness, increase in intensity of pain, warmth or discharge from the wound, then you may need oral antibiotics for which I suggest you to consult a doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Foreskin ripping after sex, bleeding. Applied neosporin. Wondering if I need to go to urgent care 10 minutes later
Thank you for the quick reply. Would you recommend I refrain from any exercise or things like that as well?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 23 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Till there is complete healing of the penis, you should avoid any exercise, masturbation or intercourse as it may cause repetitive trauma and may worsen the condition.

Wishing you a good health.