Forehead pain while descending. Treatment for aerosinusitis?

ENT Specialist
Hi, i would like to know of a treatment for aerosinusitis. I get this severe pain in my frontal head like needles going through my head when the plane decent. This will be my 3rd or 4th time it happens while decending.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 42 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Barotrauma is an ENT condition wherein there is pressure variation in the sinuses and the middle ear because of trapping of the air in the sinuses and middle ear leading to severe discomfort and pain.

The treatment of this condition is to use nasal decongestants before the travel so that there is opening of the sinuses and the eustachian tube and the pressure is balanced. But as you are already suffering from allergic rhinosinusitis the sinuses will be blocked with the inflamed mucosa of the sinuses preventing any opening of the sinuses.

You have to consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough evaluation and appropriate management of the same. In case if you are unable to consult an ENT specialist, do steam inhalation few hours before the flight journey and use steroid nasal spray and nasal decongestants just before the flight journey in order to avoid barotrauma.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon