Food stuck in wind pipe, stomach pain, chest and throat pain, difficulty breathing. Am I going to be okay?

I was eating a salad and i think something got stuck in the wrong pipe and it feels like its stuck in my stomach. i keep feeling twisting sharp pains in my stomach and my chest and throat area. its really sharp and really painful and feels difficult to breathe. am i going to be okay or should i go to the hospital? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later

I believe you should go to the hospital if you are still having chest/stomach pain and difficulty breathing.

If you swallowed something solid like a bone or a toothpick, it is XXXXXXX as it has chances of perforating (making a hole) in one of your organs, the esophagus, stomach, small bowel, trachea, lungs or any vessel.

If you swallowed something softer such as lettuce, chicken, etc., it can still remain stuck and cause ulcerations, which can also potentially lead to a perforation. I hope that everything will be ok, but you need to be checked out.

Hope that helps!