Food cravings, diarrhea, aches, tender chest, anorexic, negative pregnancy results. Pregnant?

Question
Could I be Pregnant?

I am a 20 year old female, 5'5 and i weigh 130lbs, and i am currently recovering from anorexia.
I recently went off the depo shot last thursday and started the pill the fallowing sunday. Ive been having diarrhea,food cravings, aches, tender chest, etc i took a preg. test and got a negative. i just feel pregnant, could i be?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting your query. Depo-Provera is a long-acting progestin (hormone) form of birth control. If you stop getting Depo-Provera injections, your period usually returns within 3 to 10 months but sometimes it may take 12-18 mths. So if you had your last shot On Thursday and you started with birth control pills on Sunday; the symptoms that you are having can be due to the hormonal changes produced in the body due to the depo shots stoppage and starting of birth control pills or it can be due to aneorexia and GI upset.

Chances of depo failure are less likely and hence pregnancy is least likely to occur. A urine for pregnancy test just tests presence of HCG hormone in the urine of pregnant woman because this hormone is only produced during pregnancy among women. But this pregnancy test depends upon the particular level of HCG in the blood.

Hence to completely rule out pregnancy, I suggest you to get serum HCG test done which measures the amount of HCG in blood and is a more specific test that a urine pregnancy test.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Food cravings, diarrhea, aches, tender chest, anorexic, negative pregnancy results. Pregnant? 2 hours later
What if I didnt get a shot on thursday?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Depo shots are to be taken after every three months. So if you have missed the depo shot of Thursday and had taken the earlier shot 3 months prior, then chances of pregnancy due to to depo shots failure are there although less.

I suggest you to get an evaluation done from a gynecologist and get a serum HCG test done which is more accurate and reliable than a urine for pregnancy test.