Fluctuating blood sugar level. Am I diabetic?

I am currently on a low-carb diet, meaning 40 mg of carbs per day. I took my fasting blood sugar on a home glucose monitor and it read 118. I am 209 lbs and 5'9. Yesterday before dinner after not eating for several hours, it was 135. Am I diabetic and don't know it?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 43 minutes later

You fasting blood sugar with you glucose monitor is 118 which is known as "Impaired fasting glucose". I wouldn't read much into your other Random blood sugar. But I would request you to do a proper investigation done because with your family history of diabetes and a little high sugar on glucometer it is required we investigate. You need to get done :

1. FBS
2. PP2Bs
3. HbA1c

Please let me know the reports. If there is anything else please feel free to ask.

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Diabetologist.