Fluctuating blood pressure readings. History of cervical vertebral fusion. Are these related?

My blood pressure changes quickly and causes me to feel very strange. For example: it goes from 107/70 to 95/56 then to 138/78 to 94/52 within the last 5-20 minute period...these numbers vary to some degree but the above number were from a reading just in the past half hour...Is this dangerous? Should I tell my doctor? Could this be from my 3 level fusion C3-C-7? Sorry for all the questions, but I am just trying to figure this out...THANK YOU!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 13 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand your concern of "changing" BP readings.

No, this is not due to the cervical vertebral fusion. The vasomotor centre that regulates BP is present in the brain with impulses from periphery and not in the vertebrae.

I presume, you are recording BP with a digital one and not an analogue. Yes, this happens often in digital ones. Even if your fluctuations are true - within an hour then - in order to rule out other small reasons would be better to perform an ECG to eliminate any physiological abnormalities. Your doctor should help in this.

Another most likely possibility in your case would be - Tizanidine. It does cause postural hypotension as a side effect reportedly, and might be causing these fluctuations. Check the dose, and duration if you are using it for long.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: Fluctuating blood pressure readings. History of cervical vertebral fusion. Are these related? 38 hours later
During these episodes I have not been taking Tizanidine because I feel as if I do I will never wake up. I so "floaty" and feel like I just want to sleep...NOTE: When I am a wake it is difficult to stay that way.
I always take my blood pressure in the same position during the times I am feeling so strangely. I also take it at the same time each morning and evening. it is clear the same issue shows up but not as extreme as when I am feeling "strangely floaty". Also my O2 during these times reads between 84-87 and it feels more difficult to breathe.
I am guessing my neuromuscular disease is causing more problems. I have made a doctor's appointment and may going to ER because I do not feel well...because my doctor will not be back in town for another week. She has been out for 6 weeks that is why I decide to contact someone here.
So you see I have been dealing with this for almost a month, but it is getting worse. The headache and extreme sleepiness and the change in O2 stats just started the past 4 days. Since I do not have much money I wasn't sure if this was XXXXXXX and a need for immediate attention, thus I contacted you.
So would waiting for my doctor be advisable or should I go to ER?
THANK YOU for your time.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Thanks for the inputs.

Yes, I agree with your symptoms and I would advise you need ER as soon as possible. Difficulty breathing is enough compromise for you to seek medical care right away. And this I believe is a spike in the worsening of the neuromuscular condition. O2 saturation is also not perfect for you though not real danger.

You can inform your personal doctor after she gets back.

Wish you good health.