Flu, throat pain. Dog diagnosed with kennel cough. Can it affect pragnancy, advise?

My Dog is diagnosed with "kennel cough". It has been a week. For the last few days I felt as though I have had the flu. I just read online that humans can get UPI from dogs with "kennel cough". My symptoms are very flu like, but it is not myself that I am worried about. My wife is 18 weeks pregnant and she said that her throat is starting to hurt. Its Saturday night and I won't be able to see a doctor till Monday. I don't know if this is XXXXXXX for my unborn girl. Such a weird topic, but I do need help. Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The flu like symptoms and sore throat your wife is having is likely to be a viral infection. Such minor infections do not pose any problem for the unborn baby. Please do not worry.
I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help her.
2) For sore throat relief she can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.
Vitamin C supplements will help in early recovery.
Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if she worsens - develops high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help her in faster recovery.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.