Flu symptoms,throat and roof of mouth sore,coughed bright red blood,any concern?

ENT Specialist
I have had flu/cold like symptoms for the last 3 days. Today, I don't feel fluish, but my throat is quite sore, even on the roof of my mouth at the back. I also coughed up a small amount of bright red blood this morning. Should I be concerned or is this just a normal cold?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 minutes later

Thank You for your query.

1. If you do not have other symptoms like high fever, chills, headache, severe bodyache, fatigue, cough then it is just a common cold.
2. Coughing up a little amount of fresh blood in the morning is not a cause of concern unless it occurs very often.
3. You should be on anti allergic medication and use a medicated mouthwash such as Betadine oral rinse. Antibiotic may be needed if bacterial infection is the cause.
4. Remember to get adequate rest from work, avoid cold drinks and food, keep warm, keep yourself hydrated, avoid tobacco and alcohol.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.