Flaky red skin around mouth. Using Carmex. No relief. What could be the reason and treatment?

Hi, ever since skiing a couple of months ago, the skin around my mouth has been flaky and red. It's not itchy. I at first just thought I had severely chapped my skin, but it won't go away. I've been using carmex all over my chin and mouth area, but it's not getting better. I am a 35 year old male. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

Such dryness of scaly lesions appear due to inhibition of sebaceous secretions in the area affected.

It is seen when exposed to low temperature zones.This is well reversible depending of the temperature, exposure to direct sun a minimum of 2 to 3 hours a day will help you get rid of the problem.

You can also apply substitutes to sebum like Organic Golden Camellia oil, Jojoba oil etc. Also petroleum jellies would help when applied before you go out in the morning.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Flaky red skin around mouth. Using Carmex. No relief. What could be the reason and treatment? 13 hours later
I'm not sure this is all it is. I have never had this problem before and ski every year. I also grew up in a cold client and never had this problem.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 10 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Well, there are many other possibilities for such a lesion , but I chose to explain the commonest amongst.

Do attach a picture of the lesions you have here, I shall have a look and understand the condition better and opine specifically on it.

Anticipating your response.