Five months old. Gums feel hard. What precautions to be taken before teething?

Feb 2013

my baby is 5 mnths old. His gums have become hard. what precaution n medicines can b taken before his milk teeth appears.
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
oral hygiene, calcium, vitamin D supplements.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Hardening of gums will start around this age group which is a preceding event for the eruption of milk teeth.

No specific medication is required unless the child is having irritation from tooth eruption.

If the child is having any pain or severe irritation, you can give paracetamol drops in prescribed dose.

You can do gentle massage and cleaning of the child gums with a clean finger at the time of bathing daily.

Supplementation of the child with calcium and vitamin D in prescribed dose is required to treat any underlying deficiencies and will help for teeth eruption and skeletal growth.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.