Fingertip is amputated. Not able to bend the finger. Possibility of tendon or ligament damage?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I caught my middle and fourth finger in a car door a year ago,fingertip amputation,I have been attending physio for a year and seeing the doctor monthly. I still cannot bend them and now there are two lumps in the palm of my hand. i am scheduled to see a hand surgeon in two months, any chance someone can help me? My fingers will not bend at all. I did not break any bones but am wondering if there was tendon or ligament damage? Would that show in x-rays?
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The appearance of the lump and the persistent pain in the area is suggestive of an inflammation in the tendons like tendonitis. An X-ray is not likely to detect the cause. An MRI of the area will be most helpful in finding out the cause of such soft tissue swellings.
Consulting a hand surgeon will be the best option. Till then do a hot fomentation at least thrice daily and apply a local analgesic gel over the area for symptomatic relief.
You can get some good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fingertip is amputated. Not able to bend the finger. Possibility of tendon or ligament damage? 12 hours later
What I am wondering is about tendon damage because after a year of physio, fingers will not bend. Do you think there is tendon damage from the car door and if so can it be fixed a year later? The lumps have only just appeared, I have not bee able to bend them since the accident a year ago. Physio 3 times a week, mirror shadowbox and exercises at home 3 times daily. I find it's long for no improvement.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If there is no improvement for last one year then a tendon injury is a likely possibility. Repair of tendons is possible after one year in some cases if the blood supply is intact in the area. You need an evaluation by a hand surgeon to detect the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.