Finger is sore and getting deformed. It is bruised, painful and swollen. Play golf. Related?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My right middle finger is sore and getting more deformed the more I play golf. It is bruised, painful and swollen. The nail is also deforming because, I am assuming, of bone pressure. What should I do to correct this? It is painful to play golf, although I have changed my grip some to accommodate the pain. I play everyday.
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be possibly due to Local Inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Your symptoms of Pain, soreness and bruise suggests a local inflammatory response in the involved area.

For your age, there will be some amount of degenerative changes in the joints that might be attributing to the deformity in the finger joints.

An Xray is mandatory to rule out any bony pathology.

I suggest you to
* Give rest for a few days to the local part that is involved
* Use ice packing for 10 minutes once in 3 hours
* Analgesic medication like Advil or Aleve as needed

If your symptoms are not resolving, you may need to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. I welcome any clarification.