Finger got stuck to a needle used for diabetic dog insulin. Any complications?

my wife stuck her finger with a needle that was used to give our diabetic dog insulin
Is there anything to worry about
Posted Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given that there are no significant diseases that travel between dog and human, as far as infectious concerns like blood-borne diseases that can transmit, there is no concern.

When there is a break in the skin, though, there is always the possibility of a skin infection, often involving the bacteria already on our skin.

The best thing she can do is thoroughly wash the area, apply some neosporin, and put a band-aid over the site. If any redness starts developing that spreads out from the puncture site, then she will need to be seen.

I hope this helps!