Fibromyalgia and nerve pain in my hands and feet, headache. Is it to be concerned about, advise?

I have fibromyalgia and nerve pain in my hands and feet dut to calcium deposits in the soft tissues...I have a POsitive XXXXXXX but all autoimmune diseases are neg.....yesterday I started to have a hot feeling in my skin at the top of my head to the is still here pain like a headache but a searing hot dizziness or other symptoms...should i be concerned? it is really feeling hot but it is probably nerve related..I am using ice packs to relieve it somewhat..
Posted Thu, 24 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

Regarding the feeling of hot sensation in the head and the back I personally feel it does not suggest any serious neurological problem. Sensation of feeling hot very nonspecific and can be caused by many conditions. It can be even a symptoms of Hot flashes seen due to menopause — the time of life when a woman's menstrual periods stop.

High XXXXXXX in the background of all tests being negative for autoimmune disorders is non-specific and could be a false positive which is seen in many other conditions. Hot flashes can also be caused by an overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism). Fibromyalgia can cause variety of symptoms and this could be one of them.

My recommendation would be for you to see your doctor to know the cause of this abnormal sensations. If hot flashes is the reason and these become bothersome and disrupt your daily routines you need to be on like gabapentin and pregabalin would be of benefit to you along with medications for treatment of fibromyalgia.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.