Ferritin level of 292, family history of blood disorders. Treatment?

I am a 70 year old woman with a ferritin level of
292 and a family history of blood disorders. Do I
need to treat this at this time?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Regarding ferritin - a ferritin value alone is not diagnostic of anything. It has to be interpreted in the context of patient history and other lab findings. Can you provide a bit of background for me such as why the test was ordered? How are you feeling in general.

Also, it would be great of you if you could send me a scan or copy of all of your recent labs and I can review them to see if there is anything to be concerned about. Also what exact blood disorders are in your family and which relatives had them?

Thanks again for your query. I hope we will be able to provide you with a helpful and informative experience. I await your response.

Dr. Galamaga