Ferritin level is over 900. Diagnosed with ME. Have dizziness and tiredness. Liver test normal. What to do?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi my ferritin level is over 900 an i have not been well for 3 years what should i do thanks.
I have had untold doctor and specialist visits and I have been diagnosed with ME. I have spaced out dizziness most of the time, my body is pulsing and throbbing most of the time and get tired easily to the point where I have had to sell my business which was Dairy farming. I have had all the blood tests under the sun and the ferritin is always elevated. Have had liver tests as well which are normal.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
High Ferritin levels indicate underlying problem.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

The Normal values of Ferritin in Men are 18-270 nanograms per milliliter (ng/mL) or 18-270 micrograms per liter (mcg/L), though these values may vary a bit from lab to lab.

There are numerous conditions that cause elevated Ferritin levels. High levels of ferritin can be indicative of an iron storage disorder such as hemochromatosis. Hereditary hemochromatosis is an inherited (genetic) disorder in which there is excessive accumulation of iron in the body (iron overload). This condition affects approximately one in 240 to 300 Caucasians in the Unites States.

Ferritin levels also can become elevated as a result of damage to your organs, such as the liver and spleen. Other conditions that cause high iron levels include:
- rheumatoid arthritis
- hyperthyroidism
- type 2 diabetes
- leukemia
- Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- iron poisoning and frequent blood transfusions

The management will be determined by identifying the cause of the raised ferritin.
As already mentioned,the underlying causes of raised ferritin range from conditions that have no clinical significance, such as benign hyperferritinaemia, through to conditions due to lifestyle, to potentially life-shortening conditions associated with hereditary causes of iron overload.

If it is suspected that the raised ferritin is part of a reactive process due to a systemic illness, further patient assessment will be determined by findings from the history or examination.

If iron overload is due to haemochromatosis then you should consult either a gastroenterologist or a haematologist.

Ultimately the management of raised Ferritin levels depends on the underlying cause. So, a detailed clinical evaluation is needed to exactly define or diagnose the cause of raised ferritin levels.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further