Ferritin level 555, abdominal pain, COPD, shortness of breath, non-smoker

5 years ago I had an infection with all the symtoms of Malaria. My doctors were south african and they were convinced I had Malaria. After 6 days on antibiotics with no results they treated me for Malaria and I recovered in 3 days. The blood tests did not confirm I had Malaria. This past Feb. I had a similar infection with all the symtoms of Malaria, I had no treatment and recovered after 10 days. The blood tests did not show Malaria. The Ferritin level in my blood was high at 555.0. I had abdominal pain after this infection so an ultrasound was booked. There were no abnormalities. I had a chest xray that showed coarse bronchovascular markings. There was some pleural thickening at the pulmonary apex bilaterally. No Pulmonary lesion. No pleural effusion or pneumothorax The heart was not enlarged. No abnormality in visualized bones. The report suspects Bronchovascular markings due to COPD. I have never smoked in my life. I have shortness of breath and mild pain in the upper abdomen and lower chest area. Can these symptoms and the high Ferritin count be connected to the infection or virus I experiensed in February that had all the symptoms of Malaria. I am 70 years old, 185 pounds 5' 10". Have had a healthy life. Farmer by occupation. Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Thanks for your query,

I would be specific in my opinion if you can provide me with some more details of the illness suffered, I meant the exact symptoms you had during the illness.

Increased bronchovascular markings are commonly seen in people with chronic sub-clinical chest infections of impending acute chest infection.Also do mention if you had cough and phlegm other than shortness of breath.Kindly mention since when do you have shortness of breath.

I will try to elicit the symptoms and the chest xray findings and come to one possible diagnosis.

Will wait and anticipate your input.