Ferren level 5. Have acute bleeding. Having endoscopy. should I be worried?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
my ferren level is 5 (iron) all other values were low...another dr has asked where I am bleeding from...well this freaked me out no one said anything about XXXXXXX bleeding .. my pcp sent me a script for iron in the mail and i havent heard from her since..i do have an endoscopy set for aug 26...should i be worried ?????
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
This is not so XXXXXXX and this not acute bleeding so you dont t have to be worried about this.if you had XXXXXXX bleeding you would be in intensive care unit already. Although, this is clear sign of anemia and the right cause should be established. Commonly there is just lack of iron in diet,but some more serious conditions should be ruled out. First,it can be sign of gastrointestinal pathology or uterus pathology. These 2 thing should be checked first by further tests. Most causes are benign and treatable,but of course there are very serious diseases which should be found in early phase. Till you do these tests,take some iron supplements and eat iron XXXXXXX food. If you notice dizziness, fatigue, pain in abdomen or vaginal bleeding you should visit hospital. All in all,this is not uncommon finding but be patient and do necessary work up. Nothing serious can happen in short time. Wish you good health. Regards