Felt swollen lump and bruise around belly button. Could it be swollen lymph node?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
In line with my belly button and just above hip bone, all the way on my side, I have a lump that feels like a swollen lymph node. I had a small bruise there a couple of weeks ago; all discoloration from that is gone. Worried it is a swollen lymph node. Are there lymph nodes this close to skin in this area? Thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sheeba Stephen 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The location which you have described does not have any superficial lymph nodes. So, the lump is very unlikely to be a swollen lymph node. Since you have had a bruise in that area recently, it is likely to be a hematoma (a localized collection of clotted blood). If you are having any pain or tenderness over the swelling, then it is likely that the hematoma has got infected.

I would suggest that you try hot fomentation over the swelling and take an anti-inflammatory medicine, like Ibuprofen (Advil). In case, there is pain or redness or increase in size of the swelling or if you develop fever, then you may need a course of antibiotics.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Sheeba Stephen
Emergency Medicine Specialist