Felt small knot on breast. Can fibrocystic changes cause harder knots in the breast?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
I discovered a small knot in my breast a year ago next month. I have seen my family dr, ob-gyn, and am now seeing a general surgeon who has been cking it for me since October. The surgeon states that I have fibrocystic changes in the breast and is not concerned with the knot. He routinely ultrasounds it. This knot does not feel like the other lumps in my breast. It has not changed in sized since first finding it. Can fibrocystic changes cause harder knots in the breast as well as the "normal" feeling lumps? If it was a XXXXXXX lump would it have changed by now?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your queries on XXXXXXX

Fibrocystic is a benign lesion of the breast which is charaterised by prominent lobulations of the breast.
It implies that fibrocystic disease is not a true lump but it is formed by some lobes of the breast becoming more prominent than others. These prominent lobulations may become cystic, fibrotic or calcified.

Fibrocystic disease develops under the differential influence of hormones on different areas of the breast.

This may cause pain especially during menstruation.

Fibrocystic disease is managed conservatively with pain killers, applying oil of primrose.
It has to be followed up ultrasonically for any new change in the lesion.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Follow-up: Felt small knot on breast. Can fibrocystic changes cause harder knots in the breast? 55 minutes later
Do lumps in the breast that go unchanged for a year seems less suspicious than changing lumps?
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 12 hours later
Hello and welcome again,

There is no cut off time for any lump in the breast.

If case any proliferative disease is suspected/ diagnosed (fibrocystic disease in your case), the best thing is to be on regular surveillance so that any small change is noticed early.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja P Wahal