Felt shortness of breath while doing exfoliating treatment on a client. Underlying cause?

What would might cause me to get a little out of breath while doing a exfoliating treatment on a client. It was not proceeded by a cough this time. It was enough that my client asked if I was ok and suggested I se a Dr. Is there some over the counter product you could suggest. I see a Dr next week for pre op for thyroid surgery. Today I didn't have many clients but the rest of the week will be busier
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 days later

I would like to know about your profession. Do you run a beauty clinic? I am sorry to ask you about this, but it seems apt to ask this question here.

It is obvious and normal for anyone to go out of breath when doing something like an exfoliating treatment. The probable reason could be that you were holding your breath for a long time (breath holding spells). And, you obviously went a little out of breath. This is quite expected to happen.

Breath holding spells can result in decrease oxygen supply to the brain and heart and this can temporarily make you faint.

You need to take XXXXXXX breaths and lie down flat on the bed with your feet elevated at that point. There is nothing that is available over the counter to treat this.

As you have a pre-op next week, this point will be considered and evaluated by the doctor as well. Put a word to your doctor about this when you go in next week.

Let me know if I am wrong anywhere, I will correct myself.