Felt popping sound and tightness in finger after bending hands. What should I do to get cured?

I do alot of repetive motion at my job and today at work, I bent my right hand slighty forward and I felt a pop. I feel something (sort of like a tightness) in my index and ring finger and going up the underside of my forearm and up to my elbow. I can open and close my hand okay and I don't have any numbness or sharp pain. All I feel is that I did something to it. I have iced it and taken ibroprofen. I'm not sure what I did or what I should do to treat it.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Bending the hands forward is a described as flexion. Flexion of the fingers and wrist can involve alot of muscles which start in the forearm.There are 6 main muscles in total that are involved in flexing the fingers and flexing at the wrist.
You stated that you bent your hand forward, of those six muscles, 3 are important in flexion at the wrist, the others will work on the fingers.

It is possible with repetitive movement, that you may have slightly sprained one of these muscles.It would only be possible to identify which muscle on examination.
In general treatment of any muscle injury involves what is termed as RICE: this consists of (1) R: rest the area that is affected, at the moment it is not causing you any significant pain, however, if possible you should consider reducing movements for at least today (2) I:ice compression - applying an ice pack prevents and reduces any swelling, you have already done this (3)C: compression- this is used if there is any swelling, if swelling should develop than a bandage can be wrapped tightly to reduce the swelling (4)E: elevation- this is also used if swelling occurred.

At present , you can continue to employ these methods,if any pain develops or any restriction of movement then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions