Felt lumps above elbow. Getting pain after pressing. What could be causing this?

I can feel couple of lumps, around 1 cm in size, above my albow in both arms. Earlier they used to be completely painless but from last few months i feel little pain in them when i press them.
I feel they have also increased in number by 1 or 2.
could you explain what is the situation here ?
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 26 minutes later
These multiple lumps that were primarily asymptomatic could be lipomas.

Lipomas are benign painless tumours composed of fat cells present underneath the skin and are freely movable. These are usually less than one cm in size but may enlarge gradually to become larger in size.

Treatment is usually surgical excision of the lesion. Sometimes if the lesions are small enough these an be removed by narrow hole extrusion where in a hole is made in centre of the lesion using a biopsy punch and the lipoma is removed through it or it can also be removed by localised injections of phosphatidyl choline which cause lipolysis or fat cell destruction.

Sometimes lesion gets inflammed and in such cases may become tender or painful.
Treatment is offered in the form of anti inflammatory analgesics like Brufen or diclofenac and later on excision if required.

I would advise you to XXXXXXX a general surgeon near by as lesion can only be evaluated by clinical examination.
Hope that answers your query.
Should there be further query, feel free to write back.

Follow-up: Felt lumps above elbow. Getting pain after pressing. What could be causing this? 2 hours later
Thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it.
Could you suggest an experienced general surgeon in Bangalore area ?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Lipoma is common benign tumour and can be dealt by any surgeon.
However you may use WWW.WWWW.WW link of this website to look for doctors in your city and specifically in your area. The reviews might help you too.

Ps should there be no more query, we may close the discussion.