Felt cold sensation in throat while having dinner. Could this be reflux?

ENT Specialist
Question
After drinking cold water while eating dinner, I sometimes have a cool sensation in my throat that recurs throughout the meal. Could this be reflux? I have no other symptoms at all--even of "silent" reflux.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. This cold sensation in the throat is due to increased sensitivity of the throat. This is commonly associated with acid reflux, allergy or a post nasal drip (PND). Dryness of the throat and lymphoid hypertrophy in the throat may be responsible.

2. LPR or Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux is a condition where the effects of the acid reflux are seen only in the throat as in your case. The typical chest and abdominal symptoms seen in GERD (Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease) are absent.

3. The first step is to confirm any physical findings of by a Video Laryngoscopy. If you can share the video or images here, I will be able to give you an accurate diagnosis.

4. Even in a normal individual, acid reflux takes place a few times a day. When this reflux occurs more than 15-20 times a day, GERD symptoms predominate. For the patients in between, the symptoms are variable. Another important concept is that digestive enzymes are also present in the reflux. Along with the acid, these cause a low grade inflammation in the throat. Such a dry, inflamed throat will have increased sensitivity to temperature. Do you also have sensitivity to hot food and liquids? Spicy food? Any change in voice?

5. Meanwhile, certain measures such as diet control, raising the head end of the bed, eating four hours before lying down and so on may be started. Medication should be under the supervision of your doctor. You may also try a prokinetic such as levosulpride.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Felt cold sensation in throat while having dinner. Could this be reflux? 41 minutes later
About a year and a half ago, I had an upper endoscopy and pH test and both revealed no GERD, no damage. But I do have seasonal allergies and am currently experiencing allergy symptoms, including a very noticeable post nasal drip. Is that then a more likely explanation for the throat sensitivity than reflux?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 24 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, a post nasal drip (PND) may be responsible.

2. There are two ways to tackle this problem.

3. The first is to take an anti-histamine, an anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray, decongestants and mucolytics along with regular steam inhalation for reducing the post nasal drip (PND).

4. If the symptoms do not decrease, a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) will help in searching the source of the PND.

5. It is good to hear that your Upper GI endoscopy was normal. Many patients with worse symptoms have a vicious cycle of PND and acid reflux. A Videolaryngoscopy is a much simpler examination and should be done. It may be combined with a nasal endoscopy.

Regards.