Ask a Urologist   »  

Felt a lump in scrotum. Ultra sound scan said it was fluid build up, no pain. Anything serious?

hello doc a few weeks ago i felt a lump in my scortum my doc did ultra sound scan said it was fluid build up no pain but i wish for a second option
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Such a lump in the scrotum can be due to hydrocele testis which is a collection of sterile fluid in the cord attached to the testicle, which is invariably harmless. Left untreated, a hydrocele can grow to a large size (even a football) and cause discomfort.

It can be demonstrated by shining a flashlight (transillumination) through the enlarged portion of the scrotum. If the scrotum is full of clear fluid, as in a hydrocele, the scrotum will light up unlike a tumor which being a solid does not light up. An ultrasound may be done to confirm the diagnosis and is one of the best tests. I suggest you to consult a general surgeon as if it is a hydrocele as has been suggested on ultrasound it has to be drained surgically.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.