Fell over a gate. Swelling on ankle and looking like fat foot. Cure for swelling?

Hi! I fell over a doggie gate two days ago. The pain was terrible initially, but I was able to get up and put a little weight on it. I iced it immediately since I had immediate swelling on the outside of my left ankle. The next day, although it still hurt, I was able to walk on it and once I was up, had very little pain. I was able to trim some hedges and do some weed eating. My only concern is the swelling, as my entire foot is now swollen and looks like a very fat foot. I ice it twice a day and am able to put my weight on it with no problems. Although the swelling is still there, my foot doesn't hurt but it does sort of tingle. I don't feel there is a major issue since I am able to walk with no problem or pain, but the swelling is a concern.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most likely ankle sprain

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient

thanks for the query. After an ankle trauma, deformity, significant bruising, inability to move joint or bear weight can indicate the need to get an x XXXXXXX to rule out fracture; if only pain and swelling are noted, it is moat likely to be a antiinflammatory such as ibuprofen or naproxen should make things significantly better over the next week

yours truly

Dr Brenes