Fell on elbow, applied cold. Is there anything to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell a few minutes ago and landed on my elbow. I can still move it and am applying cold compresses to it. Is there anything else I should do?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
After an injury, the best thing to do is to give rest to the elbow and ice it to reduce the swelling.
If there is persistent pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc then it is indicative of hematoma formation either due to a fracture.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of fall.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
Meanwhile -
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid any movement around the elbow.
3. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fell on elbow, applied cold. Is there anything to do? 6 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I did ice it right away and have it in a sling for now. I plan to go to urgent and take your advice to get it xrayed.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 33 minutes later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards