Fell down, pain in lower ribs. Took ibuprofen. Noticed fullness in stomach, swelling in abdomen. Concerned

Saturday morning, August 11, 2012 I fell on the wooden end of a wheelbarrow handle with forward momentum. I experienced some pain in my lower ribs on my left side, but blew it off. I continued to work throughout the day after taking 2 Ibuprofen. The pain worsened. Today, Monday, August 13th, I have been on 3 ibuprofen at a time...which helps a bit, but the pain is still a 7 out of 10. I also noticed a feeling of being full in my I have just eaten. This developed last night, Sunday approx 36 hours after the injury. I believe my last couple of lower ribs on my left side are likely fractured after talking to a friend that is an EMT. I understand there's not much for treatment for the ribs but a lot of rest. However, the full feeling in my stomach and what appears to be some swelling in my lower abdomen have me concerned. Can you tell me if I need to get myself to an ER asap? I do not currently have health insurance as I was laid off 2 months ago.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I am sorry that you suffered this injury.

Well, it can be fracture of the lower left ribs as you say and the treatment for this is conservative too, with lots of rest.

Your pain has been there for more than 36 hours now and is 7 on 10 which does not sound good.

Blunt trauma to the abdomen usually occurs in fall like the one you had. There could be injury to the XXXXXXX abdominal organs.

Yes, it is better to go to the ER at the earliest and get an ultrasound scan of the whole abdomen done to rule out XXXXXXX trauma especially trauma to the spleen and stomach.

Hope this helps you and I wish you quick recovery.

If you have no more queries, you may accept my answer and write a review.