Fell down on leg. Noticed bruise, swelling and pain. How to cure it?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell on my leg about 6 years ago twice in the same spot a few minutes apart which caused a baseball size swelling.(I was trying to ride on those kids shoreline flat baoards forget what they are called) I fell on the hard sand, which felt like cement. The bruise was right below my knew, upper XXXXXXX towards the side. Anyway, over the past several months there has been swelling in that area and some pain, especially when I kneel or am very active. ( A lot of running)

Is it still bruised after 6 years?
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 5 hours later

No, it not seems to bruise after 6 years.

Without examination of swelling it is difficult to say about it, let me know something about swelling so I can help you in better way.

Whether swelling is-

Localized or diffuse
Superficial or bony XXXXXXX
Soft, firm or hard
Mobile or fixed
Temperature over swelling is raised or not
Tender to touch or not

Once I have these answers, we would be able to discuss the treatment better.

Waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Fell down on leg. Noticed bruise, swelling and pain. How to cure it? 20 hours later

Thank you for the response. I don't know too much about swelling and the words you used. However, I can tell you that the temperature is the same as my other skin. It is only in the one area on my leg, it seems firm but not too hard. I can't tell if it goes to the bone, but it seems to. However, the swelling is not always visible to me and sometimes even hard for me to feel. It is almost as if the swelling goes down when I am not kneeling or running a lot, but comes back when I do these things. My accupuncturist however, always feels the swelling, no matter what my activity. The swelling does not seem to move. It can be tender to the touch but not super sensitive.

I hope I gave you a better understanding...
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later

Thanks for posting your query again.

It seems to be Jumper’s Knee (Patellar Tendinopathy) or prepatellar bursitis. This is a condition where a fluid filled sac in front of the knee bone gets swollen.

Without an opportunity to examine you physically, I am unable to provide the specific treatment; however please discuss these options with your orthopaedic.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.