Fell down on knee. Numbness appeared around it and getting pain. Is this normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fell a week ago on my knee onto a very hard surface...The tissue around it had been numb up until a few days ago and now it is more painful each day as the numbness is starting to wear off and warm to touch. Walking on it does not hurt seems to be more soft tissue pain. Is this normal?
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Goyal 25 minutes later
Dear Sir
Many thanks for your query.
It seems that blood must have clotted around your knee cap, and your symptoms are due to that.
Try putting some ice around it three times in a day for few days.
If it doesnot improve, you may need to get xray done and show to your local doctor.
I hope this helps.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Dr Deepak Goyal