Fell down from stairs. Getting frequent headache, jaw pain and muscle tension. Are they related?

Nov 2013

My son fell down the entire flight of stairs .. He split open his elbow but did not want to see a dr ..he was not knocked out but it was a bad fall from my point of view .
Months later he is complaining of frequent headaches .. A massage thearapist said his muscles were tense and misaligned .. Even his jaw seemed out of sorts .. Could it be related ? What next ?
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the symptoms in your son do not suggest any serious XXXXXXX brain problem.

Also, his symptoms of headache are most likely not related to the fall a few months ago.

The likely causes of his headaches are muscle tension headache (as suggested by his therapist) or migraine.

As of now, he can take analgesics such as ibuprofen or diclofenac, if his headaches are severe. Also, he would require preventive medications to prevent the recurrence of headaches.

He should consult a neurologist. Depending on evaluation, and response to medical treatment, a decision may be taken whether to do CT scan of brain or not.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist