Fell down and landed on butt cheek. Noticed swelling and bruise. Hoe to get rid of it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
Hi, I fell down the stairs 2 months ago and landed hard on my left butt cheek on the edge of the stair. It bruised pretty badly but the bruise mainly went away after 3 weeks. But I am left with a light XXXXXXX and a deformity - my butt cheek is dented where I landed on it and swollen above the dent. It is very noticeable through pants and I am really self conscious. Is this a subdermal hematoma? How can I get rid of it?

Thanks, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 32 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

Your thoughts are correct- it is most likely due to subdermal hematoma of the soft tissues in that region.
In most cases, it resolves on its own in 6-12 weeks.

If not settling, a course of anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for 10 days may be useful.

Gentle massage with hot water bag on the affected region may also help.

I hope it is helpful. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Fell down and landed on butt cheek. Noticed swelling and bruise. Hoe to get rid of it? 12 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your prompt reply. I have a few quick questions.

-Would a heating pad work the same as a hot water bag?

-Should I do alternating heat/cold therapy on it or just heat?

-Since there's a XXXXXXX and it's swollen, does the area need to be drained?

-And, most importantly, what kind of doctor is best to see about this if it doesn't go away on its own? A dermatologist? A plastic surgeon? I'm stumped.

Again, thanks for your time,
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Regarding your queries:

1. Heating pad would work fine.

2. As of now, heat is just fine. (in the very acute or early stage, ice pack seems to be more helpful).

3. If there is an infection (signs of that would be fever, tenderness on pressing the area, increased warmth, etc), then it would require drainage, otherwise no.

4. You could see a plastic or general surgeon, if it does not go away on its own.

I hope it clarifies.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Fell down and landed on butt cheek. Noticed swelling and bruise. Hoe to get rid of it? 17 minutes later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

I forgot to mention, the area does hurt when I press on it although there's no increased warmth and I don't have a fever. I suppose the pain is just residual from the injury and not an infection?

Thanks for your advice

-XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 48 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
I agree with you that currently you do not have any features of infection.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM