Fell down and heard popping sound. Taking ibuprofen for pain. Have swollen foot with bruise. Suggestion?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my child fell at the basketball game he was playing in earler this evening. He said heard a noise sounding like a pop when he fell. He has been c/o his medial left foot ever since the fall. l have been giving him ibupropen for pain q6*and have been icing it as well. He is in pain, foot is swollen in a localized area with slight bruising. Your suggestions please
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 32 minutes later
Welcome and Thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury, ligament injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. He may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile continue iceing and ibuprofen for pain and inflammation. Elevate the limb, avoid putting weight and rest well.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.