Fell down and got hit on head. Soft spot appeared. Should I be worried?

My son fell yesterday and at the back on the head more to the right side there is a very soft spot now. I rub it a bit and he feel pain. My son is 14 months +. He doesnt react any differently, only a bit sleepy after the fall but he is awake for 3 hours plus before going to bed at his usual bedtime. Why is the spot so tender and soft. And theres no bump that makes me very worried
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

After a fall and injury to the head there are few points that one should look for.

1. Seizures
2. Loss of consciousness
3. Vomiting
4. Bleeding from nose and ear.

From your message I understand that your son does not have any danger signs and playful now.
So you need not worry.

The soft spot you are talking of could be a soft tissue swelling.
Do not worry about that.

I wanted you to answer one thing.
Do you feel that its a gap in the bones? Just palpate once again and see.

If it is very painful then an analgesic prescribed by your doctor is required. If he is active and playful only observation is required.

Hope this helps.