Fell down and developed lump on hip. How to get rid of it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have a lump on my hip from a fall that won't seem to go away. It's been there for over a year. How do I get rid of it ?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 42 minutes later

From description , this lump most probably formed due to haematoma formation (collection of blood) after fall which might get fibrosed or calcified.

It will take few weeks to months, sometime year to get disappear.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of swelling. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Meanwhile give hot fomatation over it, You can take Tablet Motrin 1 tablet with food as and when required (upto 4 tablets daily).

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Fell down and developed lump on hip. How to get rid of it? 1 hour later
So eventually it will go away? It has been there over a year. What can the doctor do?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

There are several techniques that are used to help dissolve calcified bruises and alleviate the pain.
■Modified range of movement exercises can help in reducing stiffing of the joint, reduce calcium deposits and improve mobility, especially when the bruise affects a joint.
Cortisone injections are considered usually in reducing pain and can help in dissolving the calcified bruise.
■In severe cases, a minimal invasive surgery which helps to remove calcium deposits, via a small incision in the skin.

Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Fell down and developed lump on hip. How to get rid of it? 59 minutes later
It's not on the joint,I have no pain. It feels like a bubble on my upper hip. As I said it has been over a year.Can I massage it out? Should I be concerned? It happend when I stumbled and slammed hip first into a door. I thought it would go away but it has not.
Thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

If you have no pain and swelling not increasing in size you need not to worry.

Do hot saline fometation over swelling. You can gently massage it out.

If pain occurs, swelling increases, temperature over swelling increases then you should consult your doctor for evaluation.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.