Fell down and broke several ribs. Got achillies tendonitis in both feet. How long will it take to get cured?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell off a horse from a full gallop a few weeks ago. I broke several ribs and had many contusions. (cat scan) My left hip is still very sore and has a large bump on it that is still makes the tissue on the sur I recieved morphine tabs and hydrocodone for pain. I do not use the morphine now, and still have to use 2-3 hydrocodone tabs for pain. I use hot and cold thereapy to help with pain too. I try and stay as mobile as I can because I find if I sit or lay to much I get worse pain. For two weeks I could not put my socks or shoes on so I used slip on crocks thinking that would be ok support on feet. I then got achillies tendonitis in both feet (I have been diagnosed with it in the spring with MRI in trust me I know...I just thought I was healed) I am in a very small remote part of the rocky mountians ,and most dr.s are part time/traveling. Should I worry about a blood clot? How long is expected of normal recovery of my hip?
the pain tabs I take are 2-3 per day now. Not all at once. LOL Also I still eat with the tabs to help my stomach anyway.
right now my swelling in the hip is from upper thigh to top of hip because I rested longer than normal to help heal my tendons in my feet. awhhhhh
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The lump which you notice seems to be a haematoma (internal bleeding) that's usually caused by rupture of some blood vessel in the thigh. Usually these swelling are self limiting and will regress in a couple of days. You might notice change in its colour when it heals, from red to blue and finally pale to normal skin colour.

Haematoma's are very painful. Since your hematoma is persistent for a few weeks, you can consult your family physician or orthopaedician and depending upon its size and severity they can decide to either excise it surgically or allow it to regress on its own. The only precaution that you must keep in mind is that it should not get infected (from any other source in body), cause if it does it will turn into an abscess.

Meanwhile, do a hot fomentation with douche bag twice a day, take absolute bed rest, supported walking and if this doesn't work take an x XXXXXX or sonography to diagnose the root of trouble.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Fell down and broke several ribs. Got achillies tendonitis in both feet. How long will it take to get cured? 1 hour later
Hi Dr. XXXXXX Tayal,

They bruising was gone maybe in 8 days. I used salt water hot tub soaks nightly when I could in the beginning. Those are not available at this time. The part time Dr. was amazed all the bruising (before it was very extensive, even had bruising some coming from the coccyx area, on ribs and hip/thigh) was gone so quickly and even asked how I did it. Afterwards, I had still had just the swelling left and pain of course from ribs, and hip. Now I have the tendonitis in Achilles area in both feet. What I am trying to say, is there is no more bruising (amazingly) but much swelling in hip, and it is painful early morning upon waking, and then of course at bedtime which I need to take pain meds for. I still cannot roll over in bed, and have to slide off gently more because of hip, then of ribs. Are you saying maybe I should have a ultrasound (it has been 3 weeks) to see if there is a underling problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the bruising is gone and there is only pain, then it is likely to be due to a MRI of your hip done to detect the extent of soft tissue injury you have suffered. Pain killers and muscle relaxants with adequate rest will help in recovery.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.