Fell down and back is numb. X-ray showed clear. How to get relief?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
afew months ago my husband had a slipped disc but t wo weeks ago he felt his back hurt while cleaning that night his left side of his body went numb and could not feel anything all down that side he was taken to hospital where they took bloods and a x-ray which come back clear and was sent home. we were told to see his gp which he was told that there was not alot she could do whent back to the hospital still nothing done . he still has numbness and is needing help to get around where do we go from here
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Your husband might be suffering from Prolapsed inter vertebral disc (PIVD).

Numbness and paraesthesia of lower half of body on left side might occur due to pressure over nerve root supplied to that area by the bulging disc.

I advice you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for detail examination and get a MRI of spine done under his/ her guidance to know the level and severity of disc bulging which might helpful in treatment plan.

Meanwhile you can follow the following instructions :-
- Lie on hard bed.
- Avoid forward bending, prolonged sitting and lifting heavy weight.
- Try to reduce weight, if obese.
- Back muscle stretching and strengthening exercises, traction under guidance of physiotherapist. It helps in relieving pressure over nerve root by bulging disc.
- Take anti-inflammatory drug like mortin and methylcobalamin after discussing with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health...