Fell Backwards. Have a long narrow band of swelling at top of buttock Black and blue marks. Cause of concern?

I am a 52 yr old female around 200lbs, I fell 2 days ago outside and fell backwards onto cement steps. I have a long narrow band of swelling towards the top of my right buttock, below I have some small black and blue marks. I am sore all over but I have never seen a swelling like that before. Is it something I should get checked out?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

From the information you have given i understand the swellings develop following your fall?
Following a trauma, different parts of the body get different degrees of the trauma and definitely will present differently. It is normal to have soreness on the which is as a result of contusion of the body associated with inflammation in varying amounts. Following trauma, damage tissues release substances that promote inflammation. Inflammation then brings about redness, heat, pains, loss of function in some cases and swellings. It is possible to have bruises or hematoma that would present with redness or dark coloration.

Meeting a doctor is primordial and is the best option as physically he will get to examine you and ask for x-rays if necessary.
Meanwhile you should get some pain killers and anti tetanus vaccine.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query i will be waiting to reply.
Best regards

Follow-up: Fell Backwards. Have a long narrow band of swelling at top of buttock Black and blue marks. Cause of concern? 2 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I already take Tramadol for pain on a daily basis for my arthritis and fibro, it really has not helped the pain from the fall though. I do not have any cuts or scrapes just the soreness and the swelling in the area of the hip/buttock. Is it possible to fracture your hip in this area and what would the pain level be? I am trying to decide if I should wait this out or see my regular Dr. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 8 hours later
thanks once more for the query and sorry for taking a little long to respond.

Hip fracture and femoral head fractures are common fractures in elderly females especially after menopause due to reduction of bone density. Pain associated with fracture is an intensive pain with a loss of function ( that is, preventing use of the affected area).

Tramadol is a powerful pain killer used for moderate to severe pains. The problem could be that the dose you are taking is small or that the pain intensity is so great. You could consider adding ibuprofen or diclofenac if you do not suffer from ulcers.

If the pain you feel is so intense, it would be necessary to XXXXXXX a doctor for initial evaluation and for at least an x-ray to rule out fractures which is a possibility.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.

Best regards.