Feling dizziness and have severe headache. Had lumbar punctur nad blood patch. Normal?

Nov 2013

I had a lumbar punctur on 6/5 and a blood patch on 6/14 because of severe headache and dizziness. I am still dizzy and my head is heavy. Is this normal?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 53 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is common to have post-spinal headaches and dizziness after lumbar puncture. This is due to dural (covering for CSF spaces) tear with leakage of cerebrospinal (CSF) fluid.

You have had the correct treatment (blood patch) for it. It usually improves in a week or two, however, in some people, symptoms may remain for four to six weeks.
So, there is no need to worry at present.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My blog: