Feet always feel cold. Is this a serious problem?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My feet are always cold, it that a serious problem?
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
usually this is normal

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
If there is no pain, loss of sensation and motoric function or legs swelling,you dont have to be concerned. Feet temperature varies from man to man and depends mostly on environment and legs blood flow.
While aging our blood flow in extremities decrease and when associated with abnormal BP and aterosclerosis(caused by cholesterol usually), it can lead to cold feet. This wont have any serious effect all until blood flow is not reduced for more than 80%.
So I suggest to do doppler ultrasound, if you can, to evaluate your legs vessels and leg blood flow and then further tests can be planed if necessary.
If you have some of the symptoms I ve mentioned above then you need emergent work up. Till that,keep yor legs warm, use 2-3 socks, heat it in warm water and avoid long standing. Also, obesity can worsen your symptoms.
Wish you good health. feel free to ask