Feels like something stuck in anus. How to get relief?

General Surgeon
Good Morning Doctor. It's such a stupid question. I think that I have a small piece of toilet paper stuck in my anus. I cannot get it out and I have had two bowel movements since. It is not painful. I just feel that it is there. Can it become infected if I do nothing?
Posted Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 50 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

How do you feel it? Is it a flat peace or rolled peace? How big it is?
It is quite unlikely for toilet paper to stuck in your anus. If so, it has probably been excreted with the first stool. There is not much space in the anus for stool to miss anything especially light peace of paper. The only way I can imagine it could stuck is it has gotten sticked to the wall of the anus. If so, it wont make any harm as sooner or later this superficial mucosa cells will flake off with this peace of paper.
So you should not worry about it if you are certain that what you feel is really a peace of paper. Otherwise, rectosigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy should be performed to check what is the real thing you do feel.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.