Feels like grain stuck in throat. Will it slip down into windpipe?

Hi, I was eating rice and it feels as though a grain is lodged in my throat. Can it slip down into my windpipe? I have felt as if I've had a "lump" in my throat before but this feels like it's closer to my windpipe. I'm not having any breathing difficulties. I'm not sure if this is all in my head or if I have a physical problem.
Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

Though you feel a grain has lodged in your throat, it is less likely that it has really lodged there. Usually things like fish bone only get lodged there and not food grains.
Moreover it will not slip in to the windpipe.
If the discomfort is persistent, endoscopy may be done to look in to your throat and upper part of your food pipe.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini