Feeling vomiting and tongue feel sore. Always feel vomiting while having food. What could this be?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I am 50yr old female. Past few days after having food, i always feel like vomiting and my tongue taste sour (for no reason). i feel hungry like normal, but every time i have food i get the vomiting sensation. I want to know the reason behind this???. Am i having a serious health problem.???
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank you for your query.
From the information you have given, it appears you may be suffering from acid reflux from a hiatus hernia. This causes acid from your stomach to regurgitate or reflux up you esophagus or gullet. The acid can cause a nasty taste in your mouth and irritate your gullet. The reflux can make you vomit small amounts of food despite feeling hungry.
This is not usually a serious condition and the symptoms you are suffering can often be treated with medication coupled with some lifestyle changes.
I suggest you try these changes to see if they improve your symptoms.
1) If you are overweight then weight loss can often reduce the reflux.
2) Sleep in a head-up position.
3) Avoid large meals particularly before bedtime.
4) Avoid alcohol and acid foods.
5) Avoid or reduce chocolate, caffeine, and fatty foods.
If the symptoms continue, a visit to your doctor may be worthwhile as there are drugs, which are commonly used to treat the symptoms. These include esomeprazole, omeprazole and lansoprazole. These are also called proton pump inhibitors.

I hope this has been helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr K A Pottinger MBChB