Feeling very tires after doing long hours of work. Suggested due depression. Help?

Dec 2014

Hi I'm feeling really tired all the time especially after doing general things like housework or even where I work. This has been happening for quite along time and my doctor says its part of depression which I suffer but I feel like its more than that. Can you help?
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This should be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Easy fatiguability, tiredness after even light work may occur due to a lot of resons. Depressive disorders also present with fatigue, but before labelling the cause of symptoms as depression we should properly rule out other causes.

First thing is anaemia. Low hemoglobin is one of common finding and anaemia is a common cause of exertional fatigue. I would advise you to get your Hb checked.

Other reason is low thyroid levels, hypothyroidism is a common cause of tiredness and drowsiness. Other findings like increased weight, poor appetite are also seen. Hypothyroidism is also a common co-morbid problem in patients of depression. I would advise you to get your Thyroid functions test done. TSH, T3,T4 levels may come in abnormal range.

If thyroid and Hb come normal then other tests are Vitamin B12 levels and cortisol levels. Low vitamin B12 is common finding in depressive patients. High cortisol levels indicates increased stress and should be checked.

If all tests come normal then we can proceed to label the symptoms as depression. Depression may present with palpitations, low mood, multiple somatic complaints, tiredness, lack of motivation, anhedonia etc symptoms.

Please visit a Psychiatrist for proper evaluation.