Feeling urgency, frequent urination. History of kidney problems in family. Tests show elevated kidney function. Possible kidney problem ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mother, who is now deceased, told me she had a hereditary kidney disease with some type of cysts and went through some type of treatment back years ago (I'm guessing probably some time in the 1950's, 60's or 70's). She thought the treatment consisted of the insertion of some type of radium inside her body for a period of days. She didn't tell me about all this until her elderly years, so I wondered if all of her recollections were correct.
Anyway, I do think there may be hereditary kidney disease of some type in my family and am concerned in regard to not only myself but also my son and grandsons.
I am a female age 68. Recently I have been having problems with feelings of urgency and frequent urination. Last week I saw my doctor for a 6 month check up and had a comprehensive metabolic panel. She said of the results that my kidney function is still a little elevated. She thought it might be related to a diuretic I had been taking for keeping my blood pressure under control. She had me stop lotensin HCT (benazepril/hctz 20-12.5 mg) and switch to just plain lotensin (benezepril 20 mg). I also take atenolol 50 mg. Now I seem to be retaining some fluid and my blood pressure has gradually gone up this week from around 120/55 to 160/65, which is not too bad but hope it doesn't go up more. My feelings of urgency and frequency of urination haven't changed.
Do you think my problems could be related to a possible genetic kidney problem. Do you think I should see a specialist?

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Urgency and frequency of urination is most commonly associated with a urinary infection. A simple routine urine examination will help in diagnosis. Sometimes in the absence of infection these symptoms might be due to chronic bladder irritation.
In both the cases, you can get adequate treatment from your GP.
This does not indicate any hereditary renal problem. There is no need to worry.
To rule out the presence of any possible renal disorder you can ask your GP to get your renal function tests and ultrasound of abdomen done.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Feeling urgency, frequent urination. History of kidney problems in family. Tests show elevated kidney function. Possible kidney problem ? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply. I've had several urinary tract infections with pain on urination lately that have been treated with medication. I've had these infections many times in my life and know what the symptoms feel like, so I go to the doctor who does a urine examination, gives me appropriate medication, and I get better. However, this is different because there is no pain on urination, blood, or extreme urgency to go right that second. I just seem to need to go a lot more often than usual. What causes chronic bladder irritation? My bladder is slightly out of place. Could that be the cause?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Increased frequency of urination is caused by other condition (apart from infection) too. The following are few important ones

1. It could be due to diabetes which can be diagnosed by a simple blood test.
2. The bladder being out of place- cystocele can also cause frequency of urination.
3. Another cause could be acidic nature of urine.

A thorough examination and relevant tests under guidance of a competent physician can rule out all these condition.

Apart from the aforementioned reasons, sometimes increased urinary frequency can be physiological (normal) too. You need to consider your daily fluid intake, other symptoms like fever, etc. Urgency can be caused due to the sensory nerve endings hyperactivity due to the excess in the frequency. It is nothing to worry about per se. And proper hygiene goes a long way in prevention.

In addition to consulting a doctor, avoid acidic fruit juices like lime juice, orange juice, etc.
Plenty of cranberry juice will also help in reducing the symptoms.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wish you good health.