Feeling uneasy and vomiting. Pain in left side of belly. Advised to take blood smear test. Should I be worried of cancer?

Gastroenterologist
Question
hello sir, my father is of age 61 sometimes complain that he feels uneasy (like gas/indigestion). Sometimes vomiting is also there. He feels a bit pain in the left side of his belly but the pain decreases when he exerts gas. He consulted the local doctor and they advised the abdominal ultrasound and stool and urine test. The report was normal and the doctor advised to continue some medicine for gastritis. When he don't take the medicine again he does the same complain. Also if he take some spicy food he feels the same and vomiting happens sometimes. Sir I am very much afraid. Is it the symptoms of any serious condition like cancer etc ??? What should be done next ??? One of the Local doctor advised some blood smear test and stool test the report has been attached here with. Please help me sir. Can the blood smear test detect cancer??? Is the blood smear test is same as CEA level test ???
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get endoscopy and colonoscopy examination

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

I appreciate your concern regarding your father.

I think he should go for endoscopy and colonoscopy examination.

Endoscopy because of the reappearance of the symptoms after stopping medications and presence of vomiting.

Colonoscopy because of his age and presence of pain on left side of the belly.

Also it is always advisable to get screening for colorectal cancer at this age especially if one has symptoms.

No blood smear cannot detect cancer at least of intestine.

No blood smear test is not same as CEA levels. CEA is marker which is tested in blood sample which is used for screening cancer but it is only supportive.

So I will advise to get endoscopy and colonoscopy examination.

I wish him a good health

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too.

Follow-up: Feeling uneasy and vomiting. Pain in left side of belly. Advised to take blood smear test. Should I be worried of cancer? 3 minutes later
thank U sir. Sir is the endoscopy and colonoscopy test painful ??? I have heard that both of these tests are painful. Please help me to clear my doubts sir. And do U suspect that from these symptoms he may have any cancer ??? does endoscopy or colonoscopy is done for caner ? Thanks again for your quick response sir...

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback

Detailed Answer:
Both these procedures are done under mild that is concious sedation or can be done under deep sedation also. so it depends on one's threshold for bearing pain. Endoscopy is usually painless and colonoscopy may cause mild to moderate pain but that is also due to insufflation of air inside intestine which passes off while one starts moving.

Wish him a good health

thank U sir. Sir do U suspect any type of serious diseases with him for which U are advising these tests like endoscopy and colonoscopy ?

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello! Thanks for feedback

Detailed Answer:
As I mentioned earlier these tests are always advisable at this age especially when symptomatic. They may turned out to be normal but one should be on the safer side.

Wish him a good health