Feeling uncomfortable sensation in throat. No chest pain or cough. Medical cure?

i am 61yrs quite fit and very active but recently have a uncomfortable sensation in my throat ....sometimes it feels like a tightness especially when lying down ..drinking fluids doent ease it .i dont have problems eating or drinking and no other symptoms
sometimes wakes me at night .no chest or other pain or cough just a choking sensation .
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 8 hours later

Although you are not complaining for any coughing, wheezing, heartburn ,belching or burping, your two symptoms of tightness in throat on lying down and sometimes waking at night gives a feeling that you might be suffering from GERD (gastroeosophageal reflux disease ) - a mild one.
In this condition the contents of stomach go up in the esophagus or throat resulting in throat discomfort.

I advise you for following steps...
- Avoid foods that seem to cause problems for you.
- Eat smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day.
- Don't eat right before you go to bed. Wait 2 to 3 hours between eating and lying down or sleeping.
- Take some proton pump inhibitor like prilosec OTC daily in the morning before breakfast.
Monitor the response and if you become better then it confirms my suspicion.

In the meantime, plan a visit to your doctor's office. You may need a few tests such as gastroscopy.

I hope it helps; however you may revert to me for any further query.

Good luck!