Feeling tired, sleepy and fatigued. How to get relief? What test should be done?

Hi, I suffer from ongoing fatigue which is daily. By 3pm I am extremely tired and I need to lay down. This has been happening for a long time and I would end up crying from being so tired. It does seem to be getting better, but still by 3pm I am ready to go to sleep. . I am needing to put longer days into university though, and it's not working when still I become so tired so fast and early in the day. I am a positive and optimistic person and I don't let myself get depressed; the fatigue happens even when I am happy and uplifted. I trust XXXXXXX for reliable answers but how should I express my concern in order to be taken seriously by a doctor in person? I am frightened of getting a simple blood test and if it is okay the doctor won't help me. I'll go home and be in the same position.
Posted Sun, 2 Sep 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing and for the faith you have reposed in us.
Fatigue can be caused by multiple factors and we would need to evaluate you for some of them. They could include an inadequate diet, insufficient exercise, anemia ( lack of enough hemoglobin), hypothyroidism, malabsorption, depression, anxiety and heart disease as well. IF you're generally positive, depression and anxiety would be really low on my list here.
To be able to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. What is your current height and weight?
b. Do you think you have lost weight recently? Is your appetite normal?
c. Could you tell me what all you eat in an average day? How many servings of fruits and vegetables do your consume daily? I would also like to know about the sun exposure and the amount of dairy you consume.
d. Do you exercise?
e. Is your bowel movement normal?
f. Have any tests ever been done for you?
g. Are your cycles regular? Do you generally have heavy bleeding?

Once I have these answers, I am sure we could fix the cause. You'd be feeling better very soon.
Follow-up: Feeling tired, sleepy and fatigued. How to get relief? What test should be done? 14 hours later
Hello, sorry it has taken me a logn time to reply, thank you for your response.
I currently weigh about 50kg give or take, and I am about 5'4. I tend to lose weight without trying, and I rarely put weight on. What I eat in an average day is cereal with full fat milk and normally yogurt and fruit for breakfast, I eat fruit, nuts or other snacks during the day and usually something for lunch that is healthy, and the same for dinner with lots of vegetables and pastas, soups, rice etc, I eat white meats. I usually drink either water or juice or tea, no soft drinks, no coffee, never alcohol, and I use honey instead of sugar. I have a lot of sun exposure during the day because I live in a very XXXXXXX place. I do try to exercise, I sometimes take a bike ride, but I find can't exercise much because I have trouble breathing and my chest feels funny so I have to stop, but a short bike ride is usually okay. Bowel movements are normal. And I don't know about tests other than blood tests. Myperiod is regular and bleeding is only heavy on the 1st or 2nd day.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later
I probably could think of anemia and other nutritional deficiencies. Next comes thyroid problems and community infections.

Just compare the redness at the pulp of your index finger / palm creases with another 20 yr old woman who is just feeling good. If you are paler then it may be because of low hemoglobin.

The best way to understand the nature of disease is always a good clinical examination and if necessary blood test. Hemoglobin and red blood indices can be done. I cannot push you for them as you fear. You may want to take Iron supplements too.

Iron XXXXXXX food, organ meat, XXXXXXX leaves, soya etc should be consumed more than what you are doing now.

As you are not looking for weight loss and just want to feel healthy do not over exercise or bike ride more than your capacity. Some people lungs are small and have lesser vital capacity to work, listen to your body.

I will come up with more ideas if any. Meantime work on these.