Feeling tired and weak. always feel sleepy. What to do?

Nov 2013

Hi Doc! I'm a 65 year old male who cannot figure out, why am I always tired. I fall asleep every chance I get, and when I have something to do there's hardly any energy in me to follow through. When I was much younger, I always had a problem when I did some school work, or just read a book. I would just fall asleep, today even that still haunts me. I need some help real bad.....
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort, as excessive sleepiness hampers the normal daily routine.
The underlying cause needs to be identified first.

The most common cause of excessive daytime sleepiness is obstructive sleep apnea due to snoring at nights. This results in poor sleep at nights and excessive sleep in daytime. This can be confirmed by doing a polysomnography (sleep study).

Other causes to be excluded are a deficiency of vitamin B12 and vitamin D. Thyroid problem and anemia should also be excluded, as these can cause tiredness and sleepiness. All these can be found out in blood tests.

The last aspect is to make sure you are not under stress and not depressed, as these would also result in fatigue and sleep disorders.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Feeling tired and weak. always feel sleepy. What to do? 22 hours later
Thank you doctor! I believe you're correct, sleep apnea is more than likely the cause. I lived with this condition for years, and never once did I have a doctor suggest that this might be my problem. The most I had doctors tell me was, I was getting old the reason for my extreme tiredness. I snore, plus was video typed by my wife who happened to be a MD herself to prove to me that I stop breathing while I'm sleep, but suggested nothing to help me out. Now I know after all these years why I would pick up a book to read, after a supposedly 8 hour good sleep would fall asleep again. Now the condition is just getting worse. Come Monday, I will ask my doctor for a referral, for a sleep study. I can't wait to start on that C-pap. This has to be the answer, and I thank you very much....

Thank you for getting back.

I hope your problem gets diagnosed soon, and you are able to start treatment, and lead a normal life. Please keep me informed about your progress.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)